Thursday, September 5, 2013

Homemade Beer-a-Ritas

Strawberry Beer-a-Rita
Earlier this year, I shared my favorite margarita recipe, highlighted by my favorite homemade sour mix. Since I refuse to admit summer has almost come to an end, I am still making margaritas but experimenting with different recipes.

Last year, I had my first Corona Rita when they were very popular, but I knew I wanted to try making my own at some point. I also traveled to Texas, where one restaurant had a full menu of beer margarita variations. This past weekend, I finally revisited the beer margarita, making it at home to my own taste.

 Here is my Homemade Sour Mix Recipe again just in case you missed it earlier this spring. This can be used to make margaritas on the rocks, or blended with ice for a frozen variation.

First, you need to make simple syrup from sugar and water. I amended the recipe from three cups sugar to two cups sugar, mixed with three cups water. Boil this combination until the sugar is completely dissolved. I suppose you could use sugar substitutes like Splenda, though the proportions may be different. Let it cool in whatever container you prefer. Once it’s cooled, add two cups unsweetened lime juice (I do not recommend Rose’s as it is sweetened), and two cups lemon juice. You now have your own homemade sour mix. Adjust as needed; it may be too tart to your liking. More water can be added to dilute the mix. You can add additional sugar later, depending upon the drink recipe. This can be kept in the fridge for about two weeks or so.

There are a few different ways to make beer margaritas. At home, I didn’t have anything to hold the beer properly or the right glass, so I went for the mixed together version, which sounds interesting but is surprisingly good.

Here is a basic Beer Margarita recipe from All Recipes. Combine one can frozen limeade, 12 ounces tequila, 12 ounces water, 12 ounces beer (use a lighter beer like Corona or Corona Light so the flavor isn’t overpowering), ice and one lime, cut into wedges. You can use the limeade can to measure and add some triple sec for an extra kick. Adjust with extra water if the mixture is too sweet, and strain the pulp from the limeade before mixing if you prefer. You could also substitute part of the water for club soda or lemon-lime soda. This recipe makes about six cups.

I liked the recipe, but I wondered if it would be good as a strawberry version. Actually, it was pretty good and just as easy to make.

This Strawberry Beer Margarita recipe is very similar to the Bud Light Straw-Ber-Ritas you can buy in small cans at the store, but it can be adjusted to suit your own taste. Amounts are approximate and can be adjusted. I used a can of strawberry daiquiri mix and blended it with ice first in a blender. I combined this with one third (two liter) bottle of Diet Seven Up, one Corona Light and about 4 ounces of tequila (approximate). I also added the juice from one fresh squeezed lime and a touch of salt. This will make about six servings.

This recipe is very easy to tweak based on your own personal taste. If you like sweet, you will like this, otherwise you could add more ice to the mix, water, or only use three-fourths of the can of strawberry daiquiri mix to cut down on the sweetness.

Corona Light is a skunky beer by nature, so this could also be substituted with Bud Light, Blue Moon or another light beer depending upon what you like.

If you have a large goblet that can hold a beer, you may want to try this Moon-A-Rita recipe from Cocktail 365. Note: this recipe is for just one margarita in a large goblet style glass. Double or triple for a batch, with each glass getting its own Blue Moon beer. In a blender, combine: one cup ice, one ounce tequila, half ounce triple sec, half ounce sour mix (use store bought or recipe above), two ounces mango puree. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large goblet glass that will also hold a beer bottle inside of it without falling out and leave about one third of the glass empty. Open up a beer and submerge the head of the bottle into the cocktail. Be sure to hold the beer bottle along with the glass when you drink it so you don’t end up with a mess! Recommended beers: Blue Moon Belgian-Style Ale, Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat.


No comments:

Post a Comment